Monday, August 19, 2013

If I Fall

Today's special guest is Anna Cruise. Anna has been writing -- and drooling over boys -- since middle school. Lots of years have passed but some things never change...

Her books include the best-seller IT WAS YOU (New Adult), IF I FALL (Mature YA) and MAVERICK (New Adult). Additional titles releasing in 2013 will include a follow-up to Abby and West's story from IT WAS YOU.


ABOUT THE BOOK

Title-If I Fall
By-Anna Cruise
Publication Date- April 6, 2013
Published by-Mission Bay Publishing
Genre- Young Adult

Meg Calloway is at the edge.

Reeling from her parents' sudden divorce, fifteen-year old Meg has never felt more alone. Her father is about to marry a woman she can't stand and her mother's only companion is an endless supply of alcohol. When Aidan Westwood, an older boy at school, shows interest in her, she grabs on and doesn't let go, thinking he's exactly what she needs to help stem her loneliness and despair. She quickly learns that Aidan lives a darker, more dangerous life than she does and the more isolated she feels from her family, the more willing she is to step into Aidan's world.

As Meg drifts further from her friends, she tries to find comfort with a boy who is opening her eyes up to new things, none of them good. Will she listen to those around her who are warning her that she's headed down a path of self-destruction?

Or will she fall too far...too fast...too deep?


DREAM CAST

Choosing a cast for a movie based on a book is always a tricky thing because everyone has different ideas of how characters should look. But if you’re going to force me, here are the people I could see playing the characters in IF I FALL.

Meg Calloway – Anna Sophia Robb. It was hard coming up with a young actress who I thought might be able to carry the weight of this character, but after seeing ASR in several rolls, I think she's a pretty good fit.

Aidan Westwood – Alex Pettyfer. This was a tough role to fill, too, only because I think there are a lot of guys who could fit the character. I went for dark and really good looking. That works, right?

Jada – Abigail Breslin. This was another tough one. Sidekicks need to be strong enough to stand on their own, but not steal the spotlight. I think Breslin is one of those great actresses who sort of floats under the radar.

Dad – Jon Hamm. Mr. Mad Men himself. He epitomizes Meg's dad to me – older, good looking, a bit self-absorbed (at least on screen – I'm sure he's terribly nice in real life!).

Cheri – Megan Fox. This needed to be someone we all love to hate. Who better than the one chick that seems to stop every guy in their tracks when they see her?

Sara – Carla Gugino. Meg's aunt. I wanted someone tough, but who could still come across as sympathetic. I have no idea why she isn't a bigger star.

Mom – Mary Louise Parker. One of the best actresses alive, in my opinion. Loved her short stint on The West Wing years ago and Weeds is one of the best shows ever. I think I had her in mind when I wrote Meg's mom.

Case – Logan Lerman. Who? Did you see The Perks of Being A Wallflower? He's awesome.

Now if someone could just provide some financing money for me...


AN EXCERPT

“All I'm saying is I think you deserve better,” Case said. “From my point of view, anyway. You deserve better.”

I threw my head back on the sofa and laughed. It was a harsh laugh with no mirth. “Most of the time, I don't think I deserve better.”

“Everyone deserves better.”

“Not me.” I didn't look at him. “No one else would want me. I've royally fucked up. Everything. There isn't anything better out there. Anything or anyone.”

“Yeah, there is.”

“Oh, really?” I brought my eyes back to him. “And where exactly would I find better?”

It was quiet for a moment. Then he said,“Well, you might start with me.”

My eyes widened. “With you?”

His cheeks flushed just a bit. “You don't have to sound so surprised.”

I immediately felt bad. “That's not what I meant. Sorry.”

He laughed. “It's fine. I'm kidding. About you being surprised. Not about being better.”

“Well how would I know you were better?” I said. “It's not like you've ever asked me out.”

He thought about this for a minute. “So if I asked you out, you'd go?”

I honestly had no idea where the conversation was headed. He was confusing me like crazy and I wasn't sure what to say to him. I thought maybe he was just screwing around with me.

“Yeah, I would,” I said, calling his bluff.

“What about Aidan?” he asked.

“What about him?” I said, shrugging. “You just pointed out all the reasons I shouldn't be with him. 

Maybe you're right and I've just been too dumb to see it.”

I didn't know if I believed what I was saying but it felt like the truth was on the wall, some message that everyone had deciphered but me. And I was going to try my hardest to translate it, however I could.

He stared at me for a long time. I didn't say anything, just stared into those eyes that were always friendly, always honest.


LINKS