Thursday, May 15, 2014

In This Life

Today's special guest is Terri Herman-Ponce. Terri looks for any opportunity to make stuff up. She thinks anything that can’t so easily be explained is worth an extra look and often makes a great story. She loves red wine, scotch, sunrises, Ancient Egypt, the beach—and a host of other stuff that would take too much real estate to talk about. The youngest of five children, Terri lives with her husband and son on Long Island. And, in her next life, if she hasn’t moved on to somewhere else, she wants to be an astronomer. Terri’s fascinated with the night skies almost as much as she’s fascinated with ancient Egypt.

Terri is a member of member of Sisters in Crime and Mystery Writers of America, and you can read about her at http://terriponce.com/.

If you love social media, you can also find Terri on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Terri.Ponce.Author and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/TerriPonce. Come visit. She’d love to hear from you!


A QUESTION FOR THE AUTHOR

I asked Terri how she arrived at the idea for her book, specifically the fever-induced dreams and memories of a past life. Here is her fascinating answer:



We’ve all been there. Sick in bed with a flu that keeps you flat on your back and that sends you into a feverish, hallucinatory dream state that can leave you feeling a bit off-kilter long after you’ve recovered.

I don’t know what it is that makes feverish dreams feel different from regular ones, but they can certainly rattle you. However…what if your fever-induced dreams weren’t dreams at all but memories of another life instead?

I know. Sounds a bit creepy, or maybe even surreal, right? And it was this concept that launched me into writing my recent re-release, In This Life. Lottie Morgan, a psychologist, is recovering from a flu that’s knocked her off her feet and has her dreaming of a lover she’s never had. And, like anyone else, all she wants is to recuperate and get back into everyday life again—until a mysterious man calls, claiming he’s the one she’s dreaming about. From that moment forward, Lottie discovers that life isn’t what it seems and that there is a lot more to her past than she realized.

Now, the brain is an incredible organic computer. In fact, it’s been said that there are as many neurons in the brain as there are stars in the Milky Way. Among many other things, the brain can predict, and process emotions, and even solve complex calculations. It also uses REM sleep to lock memories into long-term programming. Fascinating stuff, if you ask me. And that REM and memories concept, my folks, is what sparked my creative side into writing this book.

See, here’s the thing. It’s been suggested that dreams can contain fragments of past life memories. Whether you choose to believe in reincarnation or not doesn’t matter, but it’s an idea that totally intrigues me. The brain, in all its intense connections, is so much more than we can explain. So what if—what if—your dreams could open a gateway into another time and place? What if, through your dreams, you discovered you have been given another chance to right a past wrong? Or fix an old mistake? Or find your soul mate, the person with whom you ‘fit’ without even having to try?

But what if fixing that wrong creates a new wrong? Or undoing a past mistake triggers a deadlier one? Or connecting with your soul mate means you have to give up someone else who’s treasured and deeply loved?

Oh, the possibilities.

I’m thrilled to be able to be here today, sharing my thoughts about past lives and dreams and Book 1 of the Past Life Series, In This Life. More than that, I would love to know what you think about the possibility of reincarnation, the meaning behind dreams, and if there’s a connection between the two.

Thanks so much for having me here. I truly hope I entertained!
 
ABOUT THE BOOK


Hidden memories. Buried secrets. Resurrected revenge.
   
Psychologist Lottie Morgan knows something is wrong when she relives memories of a lover she's never had. At first she attributes them to fever-induced dreams. But when the fever disappears and the visions don’t, Lottie realizes something else is going on.
   
Then she meets Galen. Their first encounter is as intense as it is eye-opening, and his revelation that they shared a passionate relationship thousands of years ago in ancient Egypt entices Lottie into wanting to learn more about her past. Her decision, however, comes at a price. Galen may hold the answers but he could destroy the devoted, lifelong relationship Lottie has with her current lover, David.

It also could mean her death—again.
   
Someone is protecting millennia-old secrets, determined to keep them buried while exacting a revenge on Lottie for a mistake made a very long time ago. A mistake she could be destined to repeat.
   
Take a trip to mysterious ancient Egypt, where Lottie becomes caught between two lifetimes, two men, and long-buried deceptions. Hank Phillippi Ryan, Agatha, Anthony and Macavity-winning author, calls this paranormal suspense "Inventive, original and thought-provoking; this mystically romantic mystery will instantly intrigue."


AN EXCERPT

The restlessness I’d been feeling surged through me again, stronger this time, and I didn’t like the way it felt. Something seemed off, and I wasn’t sure if it was with David or with me. Remnants of last night’s sleep started trickling in, and then a connection clicked into place.

“I had a dream last night and I started remembering it in the bathroom.” I closed my eyes, trying to remember more. “I was in a room with a servant who was waiting on me. She was preparing me to meet someone. A boyfriend.” No, that wasn’t quite right. “A lover.”

I felt a tingling uneasiness as I said the word.

“A lover?” David asked.

I opened my eyes, saw David’s grin and recognized the bait for what it was.

I grinned back. “The lover wasn’t you.”

His grin widened and then faded away. “That still doesn’t explain your behavior in the bathroom. You looked like a statue.”

“I’m tired, David,” I said, sliding down under the covers. “ The human mind is capable of doing unusual things when a person is under stress, like when they’re sick, and the gods only know I’ve been feeling a lot of that these past few days. Forget about it. It’s not a worry.”

David paused. “Is that your professional assessment?”

“Yes.”

It looked like David wanted to say more but he got up and walked to the windows that overlooked the backyard instead. I wasn’t sure what was going through his mind but I knew him well enough to know not to pry. It always backfired whenever I did. So I let him have his moment, toyed with the toast, and then passed on it in favor of some tea. My cell phone rang as soon as I put the mug on the nightstand, and I answered it on the second ring.

“Tough night’s sleep, Lottie?” The voice on the other end was male and one I didn’t recognize. “You shouldn’t tell your boyfriend about your other lovers. Especially those you dream about.”

“Who is this?” I asked.

“I’m disappointed you don’t recognize me.” He laughed, the sound crawling over my skin like a snake over sand. “I’m the man you dreamed about last night.”


CONNECT WITH THE AUTHOR

If you love social media, you can also find Terri on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Terri.Ponce.Author and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/TerriPonce. Come visit. She’d love to hear from you!

Terri will be awarding a digital copy of IN THIS LIFE (Book 1 of the Past Life Series) to a randomly drawn commenter at each stop during the tour, and a Grand Prize of a $50 Amazon gift card to one randomly drawn commenter during the tour.Follow the tour and comment; the more you comment, the better your chances of winning. The tour dates can be found here: 



Buy Links: